05/04/2016 by GOLDI JACQUES-MAYNES
7 Signs You May Need a New Mattress
We've talked before about how sleep quality relates to pain intensity. As a reminder, poor sleep leads to more intense pain, being in a bad mood, and diminished capacity to function overall. One of the biggest culprits stealing a good night's sleep is a bad mattress.
So, how do you tell if your mattress needs to be replaced?
- Is your mattress more than 8-10 years old? It might be time to consider a new one.
- Do you wake up stiff and sore? You should wake up feeling rested and pain-free.
- When you roll over in bed do you hear it creak or sway?
- When your partner rolls over, does it creak and sway? You should not notice your partner getting out of bed or rolling over.
- When you travel, do you sleep better in other beds? That's a good sign your mattress is not ideal.
- Is your mattress sagging? A proper mattress should maintain its shape.
- Do you toss and turn all night due to discomfort? Your body weight should be evenly distributed by your mattress — this prevents pressure points from developing while you sleep.
Did you answer "Yes" to any of these questions?
Then you may need a new mattress.
Unsure if your mattress is causing your poor quality of sleep (and life)?
If you suspect your pain may be related to a different source, or if you want to talk about your mattress with us, make an appointment online.